Welcome to IRAS!
We are delighted by your interest in International Relations and Area Studies, two strongly related fields whose importance will continue to grow in our globalised world. I believe that the education and experience you will gain while studying with us will make a vital contribution to your chosen career. IRAS is a unique degree programme that combines knowledge of different disciplines within the social sciences and humanities (international relations, political science, economics, cultural and area studies, history, ethics, law and anthropology) to help students understand the complexity of today's world and translate theory into practice.
There are several good reasons for choosing our programme:
- A diverse community of highly international students and academics that has created an intimate atmosphere of close and productive interaction between all those involved
- This community is very cosmopolitan, as the programme attracts students from virtually all continents and scholars from many countries and regions, allowing them to experience each other’s differences and build lifelong connections and friendships
- A commitment to excellence in teaching and research that is a crucial part of the long tradition of our University
- A rich variety of courses and modules that reflect today's research in the field
- The aim of this degree programme is to combine intellectual rigour with a practical focus that allows students to acquire significant intellectual and practical skills which will be valuable for their future careers, whether it is in government, non-governmental organizations, aid and development agencies, business, cultural and regional institutions or diplomacy
- Knowing how important it is to be able to communicate in today's world, we offer intense courses in a chosen foreign language including Arabic and Chinese
- Krakow's central location in Europe provides an wonderful opportunity for exploring different regions and cultures through the many study trips and social events we organise
The BA in International Relations and Area Studies attracts not only students, but also lecturers, which gives us the opportunity to invite speakers from the most prestigious universities, such as Oxford, under the scheme of IRAS open lectures, as well as guest lecturers who teach elective courses. We are also working on several degree schemes, including double and joint degrees in cooperation with European and American universities. IRAS students regularly participate in the Erasmus Plus exchange which adds valuable experience to their degree programme.
We always take student feedback seriously as there is always scope for improvement.
Best of luck and welcome!
Director of IRAS